Azalea Fashion features orange-red blooms that appear almost salmon in color from a distance, an immediate showstopper in the spring garden. Broad green leaves hide underneath the abundant flowers, then come into their own after blooming ends for the season, staying green all year long. This compact size (2–4’ tall) is ideal for smaller gardens as well as massing in larger gardens. The care requirements are the same as that of other azaleas—give it morning sun/afternoon shade or dappled sun, enriched and well-drained soil, and evenly moist soil after the first year. Provide more sun in cooler climates and a bit more afternoon shade in warm climates like Texas. It’s a fairly low-maintenance flowering shrub, delivering a wall of spring color and 12-month structure and form in the garden.
Features & Benefits
- Vivid orange-red blooms in the spring
- Evergreen foliage for winter interest
- Moderate growth rate
- Compact size for smaller gardens
- Lovely low hedge and foundation plant in woodland, cottage, and Asian/Zen gardens
- Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, and bees
- Poisonous to pets and humans
Care & Space
- Plant in sun/part sun to part shade/dappled shade
- Plant Height: 2–4’
- Plant Width: 3–5’
- Growth Habit: Upright and rounded
- Plant in moist, well-drained soil. Plan to water more deeply during the first growing season, then keep soil evenly moist in following seasons.
- Prune and fertilize after bloom has completed in the spring.
- USDA Zones: 6–9