If red’s your color, then Azalea Midnight Flare may be the ideal azalea to add to your garden. Saturated tomato-red petals lay against deep green foliage for a perfect year-round display of color and structure. The compact size lends itself well to small gardens, container plantings, low borders, and mass plantings in the woodland garden. And because the growth is a bit wider than it is tall, Midnight Flare will more quickly fill in those larger areas you’d like to have covered. Simply give Midnight Flare what it needs with acidic, well-drained soil, late winter/early spring fertilizing, and regular watering, and enjoy the mid-spring flower show and lush 12-month foliage.
Features & Benefits
- Bright tomato-red blooms
- Mid-spring bloom time
- Dark green evergreen foliage for 12-month interest
- Compact size is ideal for smaller gardens, borders, or mass planting in woodland gardens
- Moderate growth rate
- Cold hardy, heat tolerant, and disease-resistant
- Pollinator magnet
Care & Space
- Plant in partial sun to dappled shade
- Plant Height: 3–4’
- Plant Width: 3–5’
- Growth Habit: Upright and spreading
- Plant in acidic, well-drained soil and water consistently as plant is getting established. Fertilize with a balanced slow-release fertilizer in late winter or early spring. Lightly prune after blooming is complete.
- USDA Zones 6a–9b