Azalea Wakaebisu just may be the most perfect azalea out there. From its salmon pink flowers to evergreen foliage, bronze winter leaves, and repeat blooming, this one seems to have it all. The first round of bloom happens in May, bridging the gap from spring to summer beautifully, while the second flower flush happens later in the summer or early fall. The low-growing shape makes it an ideal choice for container plantings, foundation plantings, and mass plantings, creating an unforgettable sweep or accent of color. Provide Wakaebisu what it needs with acidic, well-drained soil, late winter/early spring fertilizing, and regular watering, and be prepared to fall in love with this unusual and charming azalea.
Features & Benefits
- Salmon pink blooms
- Late spring bloom time with repeat bloom later in the season
- Dark green evergreen foliage that turns bronze in winter
- Dwarf size is ideal for smaller gardens and container gardens, borders, or mass planting in woodland gardens
- Moderate growth rate
- Heat tolerant and disease-resistant
- Pollinator magnet
Care & Space
• Plant in partial sun to dappled shade
- Plant Height: 2–3’
- Plant Width: 2–3′
- Growth Habit: Nicely rounded shape
- Plant in acidic, well-drained soil and water consistently as plant is getting established. Fertilize with a balanced slow-release fertilizer in late winter or early spring. Lightly prune after blooming is complete.
- USDA Zones 6a–10b