Proving there’s an azalea for everyone and nearly every garden, Azalea Pink Formosa is more sun tolerant than most other azaleas, widening your options for planting. The perfect pink petals include darker pink accents in a blotchy pattern, while evergreen leaves provide that year-round form and interest we all want. This early-to-mid spring bloomer grows up to 8’ tall but can be kept at a shorter 4–5’ height if desired. Like most azaleas, it’s slightly shallow-rooted, so it’ll appreciate some mulch around the base to keep those roots cool during warm weather. Plan to water it deeply and regularly during the first growing season, keeping the soil evenly moist after it’s established. It’s a lovely and bold addition to your garden—and hummingbirds love it, too!
Features & Benefits
- Showy lavender pink blooms with darker blotchy pink accent
- Spring bloom time
- Evergreen foliage for year-round interest
- Attracts hummingbirds
- Sun tolerant
- Moderate growth rate
- Ideal for mass plantings, borders, screens, and foundation plantings in Asian/Zen, cottage, and woodland gardens
- Poisonous to pets and humans
Care & Space
- Plant in full to partial sun.
- Plant Height: Up to 8’ tall
- Plant Width: 4–6’
- Growth Habit: Upright and bushy
- Prefers rich, well-drained soil
- Water deeply and regularly the first season, then keep soil evenly moist but not soggy.
- Prune and fertilize after bloom has completed in the spring.
- USDA Zones 8–9