$39.98 – $278.98
It’s officially named Krauter Vesuvius Purple Leaf Plum, but we like the shorthand name of KV Purple! A popular, smaller ornamental tree, KV Purple produces a profusion of light pink blooms in the spring, followed by bright red emerging leaves. As they age, the leaves turn a dramatic purple-black and hold their color well into the fall season. After the leaves drop, you’ll love the branch structure during the winter months. And because of its nicely-behaved size, one of the strongest features of this flowering plum is its ability to shine without taking over a landscape or garden. Plant it with a generous dose of plants with green leaves and pink flowers to enhance its dark and moody foliage and enjoy one all on its own as an accent or arrange several in groupings to create more impact.
Features & Benefits
- Brilliant red spring leaves turn to dramatic purple-black in the summer
- Striking light pink spring flowers
- Round 1 ¼” reddish fruit that ripens in late summer—a favorite snack of local birds!
- Ideal as small focal point trees or informal groupings, planted in rows, or flanking driveways
- Fast growing
- Heat tolerant
- Pest and disease resistant
Care & Space
- Full sun
- Plant Height: 20’
- Plant Width: 15’
- Requires rich, well-drained soil. Water regularly and deeply the first couple of years, then it’s
moderately drought tolerant.
- Growth habits: Upright with an oval shape and moderate growth rate
- USDA Zones 4–9