Want to grow azaleas but your garden is a little sunnier and hotter than most? Meet Azalea Judge Solomon. While most other azaleas prefer partially or fully shaded growing conditions, Judge Solomon shines in sun to part sun/part shade gardens without wilting or protesting. Its relatively fast growth makes it an ideal choice for use in screens and hedges, and the 3.5” hot pink blooms create an outstanding spring show. When the blooms have faded, you’ll be treated to elegant green foliage that stays year-round for structure and screening. The rest of Judge Solomon’s growing requirements are similar to other azaleas with well-drained, moist, acidic soil—once this shrub is established, it’ll give you years of wow factor with fairly low maintenance. And if pollinators are your thing, you’ll be happy to know that bees, hummingbirds, and butterflies are also attracted to this blooming beauty.
Features & Benefits
- Large 3.5” hot pink blooms in the spring
- Evergreen leaves for 12-month interest
- Increased sun and heat tolerance
- Relatively fast growing
- Excellent screening or hedge shrub for woodland, cottage, or Asian/Zen gardens
- Poisonous to pets and humans
Care & Space
- Plant in full sun to part shade
- Plant Height: 6–8’
- Plant Width: 6–8’
- Growth Habit: Upright and mounding
- Plant in well-drained, evenly moist acidic soil.
- Prune and fertilize after bloom has completed in the spring.
- USDA Zones: 7b–10b