When elegant and sophisticated is what you want, Azalea GG Gerbing is what you plant. With its pure white blooms and dark green evergreen foliage, this variety creates a show-stopping flower display in early spring, then settles down into a magnificent background plant for the rest of the year. Its taller size makes it an ideal choice for mass plantings, taller hedges, and screening unwanted views. GG Gerbing is suited for our hot Texas weather as long as you give it a bit of shade or dappled sun in the afternoon. You’ll need to water it deeply and regularly during the first growing season as it puts down its roots, and regular water in the following years. A late winter fertilizer ensures abundant blooms, as does a light pruning when flowering is complete.
Features & Benefits
- Bright white single flowers
- Early spring bloom time
- Evergreen foliage for year-round interest
- Larger size is ideal for screening and hedging as well as mass planting in woodland, Zen, and traditional gardens
- Moderate growth rate
- Heat tolerant
- Pollinator magnet
Care & Space
- Plant in partial sun to dappled shade
- Plant Height: 6–8’
- Plant Width: 4–6’
- Growth Habit: Rounded and mounding
- Plant in acidic, well-drained soil and water consistently as plant is getting established. Fertilize with a balanced slow-release fertilizer in late winter or early spring. Lightly prune after blooming is complete.
- USDA Zones 7–9